Wall and floor tilers lay ceramic, clay, slate, marble and glass tiles on external and internal walls and floors to provide protective and decorative finishes.
Wall and Floor Tiler are all currently on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)
There is currently a large demand for qualified wall and floor tilers in Australia and if working in the construction industry is something that appeals to you this might be the perfect option for you.
Students learn to lay ceramic, clay, slate, marble, glass and other types of tiles on external and internal walls and floors to provide protective and decorative finishes. Major areas of study include interpretation of plans, measurements and calculations, use of power tools and equipment, surface preparation & repairs.
Certificate III in Wall & Floor Tiling
Course Duration: 24 months
Intake Dates: Jan and July
Locations: Perth and Melbourne
Costs: $14,000 – $15,000 per year
Common Course Requirements:
- Must have graduated year 10 in home country.
- Must have a minimum of IELTS 5.5 overall.
- This course includes 360 hours of vocational placement.
Careers for graduates include working as a self-employed contractor, a tiling or renovation company employee or being employed as a sales representative in the tile manufacturing or retail industry.As a wall and floor tiler you will have the skills to undertake the following tasks:
- Examining plans, measuring and marking surfaces and laying out work.
- Preparing wall and floor surfaces by removing old tiles, grout and adhesive, filling holes and cracks, and cleaning surfaces.
- Spreading adhesive onto prepared surfaces and tiles, and setting tiles in position.
- Using tile-cutting tools to cut and shape tiles needed for edges and corners, and around objects such as fittings and pipes.
Job Forecast & Career Information:
- Full time wall and floor tiler earn an average of $862per week
- Employment for this occupation rose very strongly (in percentage terms) in the past five years and rose strongly in the long-term (ten years).
- Wall and floor tilers have a high proportion of full-time jobs (87.1 per cent).
- The average hours worked by wall and floor tilers in Australia are 41.4 per week.
- Wall and floor tilers can work independentlyas a subcontractor or be part of a larger construction company.
Options for a Temporary Graduate Visa
If undertaking study in Australia for a minimum of 2 years you may qualify for the Temporary Skilled Graduate Visa. This visa allows the holder 1.5 years unlimited work rights in Australia. Many graduates use this time to build up experience in their field or find an employer that is willing to sponsor their visa.
If you have applied for the Temporary Graduate Visa you may also be eligible to apply for the Job Ready Program. The Job Ready Program is run through TRA and allows graduates in certain disciplines to have their skills assessed for skilled migration purposes. It is a way for people to have their skills assessed without having the experience. Once the student receives a positive skills assessment they may be eligible to apply for permanent work visas such as State Sponsored and General Skilled Migration Visas.
Have a read through this article which details how by studying the right course it could greatly increase your prospects of obtaining a permanent visa.
*Note* It is never recommended to undertake study for the sole purpose of trying to gain a visa to Australia.
If you are interested in studying to be a Engineering Fabrication in Australia contact Pathway to Aus to speak with one of our Education Agents. We can explain to you the course costs, duration and education providers so you better know your options.
Pathway to Aus is partnered with education providers across Australia that provide Wall & Floor Tilling Courses. If you are interested in more information in any of the course feel free to contact us on:
P: +61 7 55 327 000
OR ENQUIRE ONLINE