Subclass 407 Visa

Training Visa

Training Visa (Subclass 407)

The Training Visa (Subclass 407) allows Australian companies and government agencies to sponsor applicants to participate in occupational training activities and professional development activities. This visa allows you to work for your sponsor in your job whilst undertaking in a structured training program provided by your employer.

Although the process is quite similar to the Temporary Employer Sponsored Visa (Subclass 482), The training visa is not designed to fill labour shortages and is, therefore, not an appropriate visa for persons whose sole intention is to undertake work. However, it does allow the visa holder to undertake occupational training with a sponsoring organisation that is consistent with the purpose of the visa granted.

If the sponsoring company is not a Government Agency, the application process comprises three stages; sponsorship, nomination and visa application.

This means that before applying for the visa, you must first be nominated by a company that is eligible to sponsor visa holders on this program. 

407 Visa Benefits

Apply for the visa from both onshore or offshore

Live and work as a trainee in Australia for up to 2 years (depending on the length of your training)

Include family members

Occupational Training

There are 3 types of occupational training covered by this visa

Required for Registration

Occupational training required for registration is for applicants who require registration, membership or a licence to work in Australia or their home country

Improving Skills

Occupational training to improve skills in an eligible occupation is for applicants who wish to participate in structured workplace-based training in relation to an occupation listed on the relevant skilled occupation list to improve their skills.

Capacity Building Overseas

Occupational training for capacity building overseas for applicants who require training as part of their overseas study or who are supported by an Australian or overseas government organization or for professional or management level employees of an overseas organisation

Individually Structured Training Plans

Most applicants will be required to provide a structured training program that it is specifically tailored to the training needs of the nominee.

To be structured and individually tailored to the training needs of the nominee, the program should:

  • clearly differentiate between periods of practical work experience and periods of instruction and/or observation
  • outline the objectives, tasks and timeframes
  • include an assessment of the nominated trainee’s current level of skill in the identified occupation and
  • outline the additional or enhanced skills the applicant is aiming to gain.

The tasks to be completed and outcomes to be achieved should be consistent with the objectives of the program, include timeframes for completion, and show an increase in difficulty and complexity over the course of the training program to allow the nominated trainee to progress to a higher level skills capability.

Eligible Occupations

In the past 24 months, you must have worked or studied full time for at least 12 months, in the occupation that is on the Skilled Occupation List. The occupation must be on the relevant legislative instrument.

Workplace Based Training

The training must be workplace-based should be:

  • comprise at least 30 hours a week of training and
  • at least 70 percent of that training must be conducted in the workplace (i.e. not in a classroom or similar teaching environment).

Ari’s Pathway to Aus

Ari initially came to Australia to study a Master of Finance at Bond University on the Gold Coast. Once he finished his course he applied for a Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485). This allowed him to remain in Australia to live and work after graduating from his course.

He used the time on the Temporary Graduate Work Visa where he found employment to work for a finance company on the Gold Coast where he worked as a Finance Manager and Adviser.

Pathway to Aus initially helped Ali apply for a 407 Training Visa. Whilst on the training visa, we then assisted him to lodge his expression of interest through Skill Select. Ari was fortunate to receive an invitation for the Permanent State Nominated (Subclass 190) through QLD Migration. We applied for the visa through immigration and Ari received his Permanent Visa in approximately 8 months.

Ari Srour from Lebanon

Book a Migration Consultation

We have a ton of information on our site about various visa options and FAQs that answer most of our visitors’ questions, but if you’re still not sure where to start or you need a personalised step by step walkthrough, then schedule a call with one of our Registered Migration Agent.

Simply follow the link below and you’ll be able to pick the date & time that fits your schedule.

Schedule time with me
If you’re having any trouble booking your consultation then don’t hesitate to contact us either via or by calling us 0755 265 900


Frequently Asked Questions

In case you don’t find an answer to your question, feel free to consult with one of our agents.

Can I work part time?

No. This visa requires that you work at least 30 hours per week for your sponsor.

What is the length of the visa?
The 407 visa is granted for a specific period with a maximum of 2 years. The length of the visa will vary depending on the training plan submitted.
Can I work in another job part time?
No. You can only work for your sponsor.
What are the different streams under the Subclass 407 visa?

There are several streams, including:

    • Workplace-based training: For on-the-job training.
    • Professional development: For enhancing skills in your occupation.
    • Research programs: For research in a field of study.
    • Special program: For cultural exchange, social or community programs.
    • Entertainment industry: For entertainment-related work.
    • Superyacht crew: For work on superyachts.
Can I apply for a new Subclass 407 visa if I've already held one in the past?

You can apply for another Subclass 407 visa if you meet the eligibility criteria and have a new training opportunity. The total stay duration under this visa type should not exceed 4 years.

Can I apply for permanent residency in Australia through the Subclass 407 visa?

The Subclass 407 visa is a temporary visa and does not lead to permanent residency. If you wish to stay in Australia permanently, you will need to explore other visa pathways.

Can I bring my family with me on the Training Visa Subclass 407?

Yes, you can include your family members (spouse and dependent children) in your visa application, and they can come with you to Australia.

How do I find an approved sponsor for my Subclass 407 visa application?

Sponsors can be organizations or individuals who are approved by the Australian government. You can find potential sponsors by contacting relevant industry bodies, employers, or training institutions.


In case of questions, feel free to reach out to one of our experienced Registered Migration Agents.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Contact details

Give us a call

Australia: 0755 265 900
Argentina: (11) 7368 - 8134
Fiji: (679) 922 3842
Philippines: 63 968 363 5296
United Kingdom: 02039 483 865

Send an email

Gold Coast Office

2242 Gold Coast Highway,
Mermaid Beach, QLD, 4218

UK Office

5 Merchant Square
London, W2 1AY, United Kingdom
(By Appointment Only)

Training Visa – Subclass 407 was last modified: November 13th, 2023 by Nick Yock