General Skilled Migration

General Skilled Migration Visas

General Skilled Migration Visas allows foreigners to migrate to Australia without having an employer sponsor their visa. To be able to apply for general skilled migration visas you must be skilled in an occupation that is in demand in Australia. Applicants are invited to apply for general skilled migration visas based on factors such as their occupation, work experience, education and English ability.

General Skilled Migration is the most popular form of permanent migration to Australia, as it allows the visa holders access to a permanent work visas, without being linked to only one employer.


Live, work and study in Australia

Receive public healthcare

Have your children attend a public school

Doesn't require an employer to sponsor your visa

The 189 or 190 are permanent visas

The 491 visa leads to PR after 3 years

General Skilled Migration for a teacher

Skilled Independent Visa

The Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189) is by far the most common Skilled Migration Visa. It allows foreign nationals who are successfully granted a Skilled Independent Visa permanent residency in Australia.

Vocational courses Studing in Australia Pathway to Aus

Skilled Nominated Visa

The Skilled Nominated Visa (Subclass 190) allows skilled workers who are nominated by an Australian State or Territory government to live and work in Australia as a Permanent Resident. This visa is an excellent option if you don’t have enough points for the Skilled Independent visa.

University courses Studing in Australia Pathway to Aus

Skilled Regional Visa

 The Skilled Work Regional Visa (Subclass 491) is initially an open 5 year temporary visa that can lead to permanent residency. This visa requires you to be nominated by a State or Regional area and requires you to commit to living and working in a regional area

The Application Process

Even the most educated applicant can find the applicant for General Skilled Migration daunting. Here’s the simplified breakdown of the process, but if you still have questions, don’t hesitate to contact us.

Check Your Eligibility

Before you submit your Expression of Interest (EOI), take the Points Test to see if you’re eligible for the Skilled Migration Program.

Submit an EOI

To apply for a Skilled Independent or Skilled Nominated visa, you are required to submit an Expression Of Interest (EOI) through SkillSelect.

Receive State Nomination (only for 190 or 491)

Once you have submitted an EOI you can then be invited by the Australian government, Australian employers or state governments to apply for the skilled visa.

Apply for Visa

After receiving an invitation to apply for the visa from the DIBP, you have 60 days to lodge a visa application. Without an invitation you are not eligible to apply.

Pathway to Aus Can Help You

We’ve done our best to outline the application process and you’ll find answers to the most common questions down below, but we’d be happy to walk you through this entire process step by step.

We can lodge the required skills assessments

Different Skills Assessment Authorities have specific and complicated requirements that you must meet, and specific documentation that you need to provide. We ensure all documents provided meet the requirements for the skills assessment.

We will review your Points Test results

Correctly calculating your points is more complicated than most applicants expect. We ensure clients correctly calculate the points and advice on the likelihood of receiving an invitation to apply for the visa.

We will gather relevant documentation

We ensure that all applications are processed a quickly as possible, which is vitally important in situations where time is of the essence. If possible, we aim to submit a decision ready application.

We recognise and rectify potential problems

Our Registered Migration Agents recognise and rectify potential problems with applications before applications are submitted. For example, rectify problems with previous visa applications and seek waivers for previous conditions imposed. 

We help you translate required documents

We provide assistance translating any required documents such as degrees, qualification documents and letters of reference.

Book a Migration Consultation

We have a ton of information on our site about various visa options and FAQs that answer most of our visitors’ questions, but if you’re still not sure where to start or you need a personalised step by step walkthrough, then schedule a call with one of our Registered Migration Agent.

Simply follow the link below and you’ll be able to pick the date & time that fits your schedule.

Schedule time with me
If you’re having any trouble booking your consultation then don’t hesitate to contact us either via or by calling us 0755 265 900


Frequently Asked Questions

If you don’t find an answer to your question below, feel free to get in touch with one of our agents, they will be more than happy to share their wisdom.

What is General Skilled Migration?

General Skilled Migration is a stream of visas that include: the skilled independent (subclass 189), the Skilled Nominated (Subclass 190) or the Skilled Regional Nominated (Subclass 491). These visas are permanent (or lead to permanent residency) and do no require an employer to sponsor your visa.

What occupations can apply for general skilled migration?

You can apply for the skilled independent visa if your occupation is on the MLTSSL
You can apply for the skilled nominated or skilled regional if your occupation is on the state or territory occupation lists

How many points do I need for general skilled migration?

The points required to apply for these visas varies depending on which visa you are applying for, and what your occupation is. Applicants need a minimum of 65 points to submit an expression of interest.

How can I apply for general skilled migration visas?

You need to be invited to apply for general skilled migration visas. In order to do this you would submit an expression of interest through skill select.

What is the easiest state to migrate to for general skilled migration?

Each state or territory has it’s own state migration requirements. Generally speaking the easier states to migrate to do not include NSW or Victoria.

What is the easiest job to apply for general skilled migration?

There is not one specific easy job to migrate to Australia with. However on the MLTSSL there are many occupations including engineering, medical, trades or computing professions.

    How can I get extra points for general skilled migration?

    In order to gain extra points you could do things like improve your English score, obtain more work experience any several other ways. 

      Do I need to pass a skill assessment?

      Each skill assessment has different requirements. Please consult the skill assessing body relevant to your occupation?

      What skilled workers are in needed in Australia?

      This could vary from state to state and different regions in Australia. Generally speaking, medical professions, engineers, trades and computer professions are all in demand in Aus.

      What if my occupation is not in demand in Australia?

      If your occupation is not in demand in Australia, you could consider studying another course that may skill in you in an occupation that is in demand in Aus


      In case of questions, feel free to reach out to one of our experienced Registered Migration Agents.

      This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

      Contact details

      Give us a call

      Australia: 0755 265 900
      Argentina: (11) 7368 - 8134
      Fiji: (679) 922 3842
      Philippines: 63 968 363 5296
      United Kingdom: 02039 483 865

      Send an email

      Gold Coast Office

      2242 Gold Coast Highway,
      Mermaid Beach, QLD, 4218

      UK Office

      5 Merchant Square
      London, W2 1AY, United Kingdom
      (By Appointment Only)

      General Skilled Migration was last modified: June 7th, 2024 by Nick Yock