Study in Australia

Australia has one of the best international student education systems in the world offering exceptional education and study-work-life balance.

Whether you would like to improve your English, gain practical Vocational Skills or undertake a University Degree, Australia offers numerous options for international students. Study a few months or a few years on an Australian Student Visa.

Extend your stay in Australia Free eBook Pathway To Aus

On a Student Visa, You Can:

Study in Australia

The Student Visa allows you to study short and long-term courses in Australia, allowing you to obtain an internationally recognised Australian Qualification.

The Australian Education system is considered one of the best in the world. The quality of the education means you will have an exceptional education and can obtain highly respected qualifications that might help you land your dream job anywhere in the world.

Live in Australia

The Student Visa is a great way to extend your time in Australia. It allows you to live in Australia for a short or long-term period, depending on the length of your course. You are able to enter and leave Australia as many times as you like throughout the duration of your course.

Work in Australia

The Student Visa typically allows you to work up to 40 hours per fortnight (two weeks) throughout the duration of your studies; and work unlimited hours during your educational institution’s holidays and breaks.

You may be able to work full-time for the duration of your course if you are studying a Master’s Degree. 

Read more information on your work rights on an Australian student visa here.


Bring Your Family to Australia

The Student Visa allows you to include eligible family members, such as spouses, de facto partners, and children to your visa either at the time of application or to be added to your visa after it is granted.

Your spouse or partner would also have similar work rights to you on the student visa. 

Renew or Extend Your Student Visa Multiple Times

There is no limit to how many eligible courses you can study in Australia. However, applying for multiple extensions of your Student Visa may weaken your Genuine Student Statement claims.

For that reason, it is important that you choose your courses wisely. In many cases, you can enrol in course packages that include multiple courses under one Student Visa Application, which extends your study period in Australia. If you would like to extend your student visa, feel free to contact Pathway to Aus. 

How to Study in Australia

We’ve outlined a process for you to follow.


Choose a Course


Enrol in the Course


Apply for the Student Visa


Application review


Receive a Decision


Plan your stay in Australia

Step 1: Choose a Course

The first thing you need to do to apply for an Australian Student Visa is choose a course that is right for you. You can compare hundreds of different courses here

You can study:

  • English Language Courses
    • Such as: IELTS Preparation, General to Advanced English
  • Vocational Courses
    • Such as: Hospitality, Construction, Business, and Sports & Fitness
  • University Courses
    • Such as: Bachelor Degree, Master Degree, and PhD 

If you are unsure of the type of course you would like to study, feel free to contact Pathway to Aus. One of our education agents will walk you through the different course options for free. 


Step 2: Enrol in the Course

There are hundreds of different courses all over Australia. The steps to enrol in a course are:

  1. Submit the enrolment form with Pathway to Aus and provide required documents to your Education Agent or chosen institution. For instance, you may need to provide:
    • Passport
    • English test results (if required)
    • Previous Academic Certificates; and
    • Personal Statement
  2. Sign the Letter of Offer from the Education Provider
  3. Pay your course fees or organize a schedule of payment
  4. Receive a Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) from the Education Provider

If you would like Pathway to Aus assist you in choosing and enrolling in your course, our experienced Education Agents will advise you of your options and will handle the enrollment process for you.

Step 3: Apply for the Student Visa

  • Once you enrolled in a course in Australia, you must then apply for a Student Visa.
  • Pathway to Aus offers free visa assistance to students who enroll in their desired course through our agency, from start to finish.

Step 4: Immigration will Process Your Visa Application

  • Depending on your circumstances, it can take anywhere from a few minutes to a few months for Immigration to process your application.
  • Factors that increase processing time are: your home country, visa history, adding family members to your application, applying from outside Australia, prior criminal convictions, owing debt to the Australian government, having a medical condition, or travels to certain countries.
  • In some instances, if you apply from inside Australia, Immigration may request additional information or evidence, which you will be required to provide within a certain period of time.
  • In some instances, whether you apply from inside or outside Australia, you may be requested to undertake Medical Examinations or provide your Biometrics.

Pathway to Aus aims to lodge a decision ready application to ensure the quickest processing time for all students. 

Step 5: Receive a Decision from Immigration

Immigration will typically notify you and/or your Migration Agent of its decision regarding your application via email.

You can enter Australia any time after your student visa has been approved. Please note you cannot work until your course start date.

Step 6: Plan your stay in Australia

At Pathway to Aus, we offer all of our students support when arriving in Australia. We may be able to assist with

  • Finding Accommodation
  • Applying for your Tax File Number and ABN
  • Finding Work
  • Understanding your Visa Rights and Conditions
  • Liaising with Your Education Provider

Applying for Student Visa

To apply for an Australian Student Visa you must go through the steps below. Pathway to Aus drafts and lodges the student visas for all of its student for free.

Complete the Visa Application Form

After you have received the confirmation of enrolment from the college, you will then be able to draft your visa application . For student of Pathway to Aus, we will send a Student Visa Questionnaire for you to complete.

We will then have one of our registered migration agents draft up your student visa. 


Write a Compelling Genuine Student Statement
  • It is a requirement for the Student Visa that, at the time of application, you intend to come to or remain in Australia for a temporary period and your primary intention to come to or remain in Australia must be to study.
  • For clients of Pathway to Aus, we provide professional guidance with writing an excellent Genuine Student Statement.
Arrange Overseas Student Health Coverage
  • You must arrange OSHC for the full duration of your Student Visa and this must be paid in full before submitting the Application.
  • All Applicants included in your Student Visa must have OSHC.
  • Some students from Norway, Sweden, or Belgium may not be required to arrange OSHC.

Duration of Course Duration of Visa and OSHC
10 months or longer and finishing in November or December
Your visa will usually be granted until 15 March of the following year

10 months or longer (finishing between January and October)
Your visa will usually be granted for two months longer than the duration of your course

Less than 10 months
Your visa will usually be granted for one month longer than the duration of your course.

Do I need to provide Evidence of Language Ability?

Depending on which country you are from, you may be required to provide evidence that you meet the English Language requirement. You can check it you will need to provide evidence of English on Immi’s document checklist tool.

Do I need to provide Evidence of Financial Capacity?

Depending on which country you are from, you may be required to provide evidence that you have enough money to cover the cost of living and studying in Australia.

You can check it you will need to provide evidence of English on Immi’s document checklist tool.


  • If you need to provide evidence of finances, you must prove that you have genuine access to funds, as determined by immigration:
    • Single Applicant
      • Ongoing Income of Parents or Non-Accompanying Partner or Spouse: $60,000 AUD or more; OR
      • Deposit in a Financial Institution:
        • Cost of Living: $20,290
        • Cost of 12 months tuition fee less any amount already paid (tuition/total months of study x 12 months)
        • Cost of return flight to home country:
          • From inside Australia: $1,000 to $1,500
          • From outside Australia: $2,000 to $3,000
    • Additional Applicants
      • Ongoing income of Parents: $70,000 AUD or more; OR
      • Deposit in Financial Institution:
        • Same as above, PLUS
        • $7,100 for partner/spouse
        • $3,040 per child
        • $8,000 per child over 6 years of age
        • Cost of return flights/per applicant
    • Examples of Evidence:
      • Bank Statements, Term Deposits, Loans
      • Tax Returns for Most Recent Tax Year
      • Letter of Financial Support
      • Evidence of Relationship between Applicant and Financial Sponsor

This information is to be used as a rough estimate only and the financial capacity requirements will vary depending on your individual circumstances. Our experienced Migration Agents can assist in determining your specific requirements.

Provide Evidence of Health and Character Requirements

Some applicants must provide a medical assessment and police reports. Immigration may contact you after the visa has lodged if you need to provide these. 

For instance, if you have a prior criminal conviction, have debt to the Australian government, have a medical condition, or have served in the military, you will need to provide specific documentation, such as:

  • Police Checks
  • Payment Plans
  • Explanations
  • Military Discharge Letter
Include Eligible Family Members
You may be able to include your legal Spouse or De Facto Partner to your application.

  • In general, you will be required to provide evidence of your relationship, such as:
    • Marriage certificate
    • Evidence you’ve lived together for at least 12 months
    • Evidence that you share in your finances
    • Evidence that you hold yourself out to the public as being in a genuine, exclusive and committed relationship
    • Evidence that you are committed to one another

Australia recognizes same-sex marriages and partnerships. The requirements for evidence are the same.

You may also be able to include your children or step-children to your application.
In general, you will need to provide evidence, such as:

  • Birth certificate
  • School enrolment in an Australian school for children over 6 Years of age
  • Form 1229: Consent to grant an Australian visa to a child under the age of 18 years
Pay the Visa Application Fee

When lodging the student visa, applicants will need to pay the visa application charge. The current student visa application charge is:


    Main Applicant – $710
    Secondary Applicant (over 18) – $530
    Secondary Applicants (under 18) – $175
    Please note if you apply from inside Australia you may also need to pay the subsequent visa application charge of $700. You would only need to pay this charge if you apply from inside Australia and you applied for the current visa you hold in Australia.

Moving onto a
Graduate Work Visa

Studying in Australia with Student Visa Pathway to Aus

485 Graduate Visa

If you have completed a recognised qualification that is at least two years in length from an Australian education provider within the last six months, you may be eligible for a 485 Graduate Visa, which permits you to stay in Australia for up tom 18 months. Please note to be eligible for the graduate visa you must study the right course.

Pathway to Aus can help you choose this course. 

There are two different types of Graduate Visas:

  • the Graduate Work Stream, which is for recent graduates of a course that prepares you for a job that is on the MLTSSL; and
  • the Post-Study Work Stream, which is for recent graduates of a Bachelor, Masters or Doctorate Level course.
Employer Visa Pathway To Aus

482 Employer Sponsored

The 482 Employer Sponsored visa is the most common work visa in Australia. It is a temporary visa that allows you to live and work in Australia. It is quite common for working holiday makers or students to move to a 482 Employer Sponsored visa. Some examples of our past clients moving from a working holiday or student visa to an employer sponsored visa include Paolo and Tom :

To be eligible for this visa you must:

    • Have a job offer from an employer
    • The job must be on the Short-Term Skilled Occupation List
    • The job must be paid at least $53900 per year
    • The employer must also agree to “sponsor” your visa and become an approved business sponsor.
    • For tips on how to find an employer that will sponsor you check out this article

Book a Migration Consultation

We have a ton of information on our site about various visa options and FAQs that answer most of our visitors’ questions, but if you’re still not sure where to start or you need a personalised step by step walkthrough, then schedule a call with one of our Registered Migration Agent.

Simply follow the link below and you’ll be able to pick the date & time that fits your schedule.

Schedule time with me
If you’re having any trouble booking your consultation then don’t hesitate to contact us either via or by calling us 0755 265 900



In case of questions, feel free to reach out to one of our experienced Registered Migration Agents.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Contact details

Give us a call

Australia: 0755 265 900
Argentina: (11) 7368 - 8134
Fiji: (679) 922 3842
Philippines: 63 968 363 5296
United Kingdom: 02039 483 865

Send an email

Gold Coast Office

2242 Gold Coast Highway,
Mermaid Beach, QLD, 4218

UK Office

5 Merchant Square
London, W2 1AY, United Kingdom
(By Appointment Only)

Student Visa was last modified: March 26th, 2024 by Nick Yock