0755 265900 [email protected]

Temporary Graduate Visa

The Graduate Visa (Subclass 485) allows recent university or certain vocational graduates to remain in Australia and work after their studies have finished.

The Temporary Graduate Visa

The Graduate Visa IS NOT points tested and you DO NOT need an employer to sponsor your visa. Many temporary graduate visa holders use the time on this visa to build up the skills and requirements necessary to meet the criteria to apply for a permanent general skilled visa in Australia.

Anytime throughout the duration of the temporary graduate visa, visa holders can lodge an application for another permanent visa.

There are 2 different types of graduate visas:

The Graduate Work Stream  or

The Post Study Work Stream

Please refer to the different requirements for each below

Requirements & Fees

  • You must be under 50 years old
  • You must apply within Australia
  • You require health insurance for the duration of your visa
  • You MUST make your application within 6 months of your graduation.
  • You must complete at least 2 academic years of study within Australia
  • You need to have English level (IELTS 6), with no score lower than 5 (or equivalent English test)
  • You cannot have previously held the temporary graduate or skilled graduate visa
  • The visa applicant has a recognised qualification that is eligible for the visa from an Australian education provider
  • The visa applicant applied for and was granted their student visa on or after November 5th, 2011
  • You do not need to have studied a course for a position on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List
  • Study must be at a Bachelor, Masters or Doctorate Level

Duration depends on the level of study

  • 2 years: completion of Bachelor Degree, Bachelor with Honors, Masters by Coursework
  • 3 years: Masters by Research
  • 4 years: Doctorate
  • The visa applicant must have the skills and qualifications assessed by a relevant assessing authority as suitable for the occupation that is on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List
  • You can study a Vocational (Certificate or Diploma Course) or University Course to be eligible for this visa, as long as the course prepares you for a job that is on the MLTSSL.
  • Graduate work stream visas can be granted for up to 18 months

$1,650 AUD (main applicant)

  • $825 AUD (for secondary applicant)
  • $415 AUD (for children)


  • Health Insurance
  • Australian police check
  • Medical Exam (if required)

*The fee listed above is current as of the 10th of July 2019 and is subject to change.

**Plus credit card payment fee if paying by credit card.

How Pathway To Aus Helps

It is very common for a student to not want to leave Australia after they have finished their studies. Pathway to Aus will assist in lodging an application for your visa based on your specific situation. Our Registered Migration Agents provide all clients with professional and correct advice. Pathway to Aus will provide:

  • Assist in obtaining the required supporting documents
  • Expert advice and correlation of documents
  • Assistance obtaining a skills assessment through a relevant assessing authority (if required)
  • Lodgement of the application on the clients behalf
  • Liaise with Immigration whilst the visa application is under process.

Get In Touch

Phone: +61 755 265 900
Email: [email protected]
Enquire Online 
Skype: pathwaytoaus

Frequently Asked Questions

Will I be eligible for this visa if I studied a two year course package at a vocational providerCan I still apply for the Temporary Graduate Visa if I began my studies before November 5th 2011?

If you have been granted a student visa prior to November 5th 2011. You will not be allowed to apply for the Post Study Work Stream Graduate Visa.

I have completed a bachelor of business at a university in Australia, but was granted my first visa prior to November 5th, 2011, what visa can I apply for?

You will not be eligible for the PSWS Graduate visa. However you may be eligible for a different visa to remain in Australia. It may be a good idea to contact a Registered Migration Agent to find out your options.

Does it matter what course I studied for the Graduate Visa – Post Study Work Stream

As long as you meet the Australian study requirement (studied for at least 2 years resulting in a Bachelor degree qualification), and that you meet the other requirements, you should still be eligible for the graduate visa – post study work stream. So if you studied a Bachelor of Business, Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Economics you may still be eligible for the graduate visa

What happens if I was granted my visa before November 5th 2011, but started my course in February 2012?

If your visa visa was granted before November 5th 2011, you will not be eligible for the PSWS visa. Regardless of when the course started.

How do I know if I will be eligible for the Graduate Stream Visa?

If you studied a course that will educate for you in a position that is on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (Bachelor or Nursing, Bachelor of Engineering etc…), you may be eligible for this visa. If you studied a course that is not on the MLTSSL (eg – Bachelor of Business, Bachelor of Arts), you will not be eligible

What happens if I had a break in my studies? Will I still be eligible?

As long as the student meets the 2 year study requirement, it does not matter if there is a break in the study. Providing that the student meets the other requirements for the visa.

Some Examples:

  1. A Student who was granted her visa to study a Bachelor or Marketing on September 1st 2011, to study a course that begins on January 2012, WILL NOT be eligible for the PSWS Graduate Visa.
  2. A Student who was granted a visa to study her first course (Bachelor of Business) in December 2010 and then applied to study her second course (Masters of Business) in September 2013, WILL NOT be eligible for the  PSWS Graduate Visa

Get in Touch

In case of questions, feel free to reach out to one of our experienced Registered Migration Agents.

Contact information


Gold Coast Office
2575 Gold Coast Highway, Mermaid Beach, QLD, 4215

UK Office
48 Haven Green, Ealing, London W5 2NX, UK

Consult with Our Agents

Book a consultation to receive professional advice from one of our experienced Registered Migration Agents.
Graduate Visa was last modified: August 22nd, 2019 by Nick Yock