Certificate III in Carpentry

Study Carpentry Course

If you are looking for a flexible job and want to build skills that allow you to work all over the world, perhaps you may want to study carpentry.

Carpenter is listed on Immigration’s –

Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL). This means immigration has identified carpenters as an in-demand occupation in Australia. 

Australia is recognised for providing highly skilled and technologically sound carpenters. The Certificate III in Carpentry will provide students with the required skills to work in the building and construction industry in Australia and all over the globe. If you study carpentry you will learn to perform a wide range of tasks in the building and construction industry.

You will be trained in numerous fields in the carpentry industry such as studying drawings and specifications to determine materials required, ordering and selecting timbers and materials, preparing layouts and much more.

Graduates will be a qualified tradesperson in the building and construction industry, skilled in many aspects of carpentry including:

  • Plan and organise work
  • Construct wall frames
  • Use carpentry hand and power tools
  • Read and interpret plans
  • Shape materials and assemble component
  • Roof framing
  • Use a variety of levelling instruments

Course Details

Certificate III in Carpentry

  • Duration: 12-24 months
  • Intake: January and July (*Apr and Oct in Melbourne only)
  • Cost: $9,000 – $15,000 per year
  • Locations: Brisbane, Gold Coast (*regional), Sydney, Melbourne, Perth (*regional), Sunshine Coast (*regional), Adelaide (*regional)


  • Have graduated year 10 in your home country
  • Have a minimum of IELTS 5.5 overall.
  • Be prepared to complete a 360 hour of vocational placement or work experience

Graduate Outcome

  • Full-time carpenters on average earn $1358 per week
  • The average hours worked in Australia are 44 per week
  • Employment for this occupation rose moderately in the past five years, rose slightly in the long-term
  • Carpenters and Joiners have a high proportion of full-time jobs (93.2 per cent)
  • They can work independently or be part of a larger building company
YouTube video

Carpentry Courses available all over Aus

In our opinion TAFE SkillsTech is one of the better schools for studying a trade in Aus for international students.
Come with us as Pathway to Aus takes you on a tour of TAFE SkillsTech in Brisbane. However, we are partnered with carpentry providers in cities all over Aus. Feel free to contact Pathway to Aus for additional information on different course providers.

Temporary Graduate Visa

If undertaking study in Australia for a minimum of 2 years you may qualify for the Temporary Skilled Graduate Visa. This visa allows the holder 1.5 years of unlimited work rights in Australia. Many graduates use this time to build up experience in their field or find an employer that is willing to sponsor their visa.

If you have applied for the Temporary Graduate Visa you may also be eligible to apply for the Job Ready Program. The Job Ready Program is run through TRA and allows graduates in certain disciplines to have their skills assessed for skilled migration purposes. Once the student receives a positive skills assessment they may be eligible to apply for permanent work visas such as State Sponsored and Regional Nominated Visas.

Note: It is never recommended to engage in studies for the sole purpose of trying to gain a visa to Australia. Speak to us and we can find a course that matches your long-term career goals.

Graduate Visa - Pathway To Aus

Graduate Visa

The Graduate Visa (Subclass 485) allows recent university graduates and certain vocational graduates the chance to remain in Australia and work after their studies have finished.

Education Pathways

You will be trained in numerous fields in the carpentry industry such as studying drawings and specifications to determine materials required, ordering and selecting timbers and materials, preparing layouts and much more.

Carpenter (331212) is currently on the Medium and Long-Term Strategic Skills List. This means immigration has identified carpenters as an in-demand occupation in Australia.

To obtain a positive skills assessment, the current qualification requirement is a Certification III in Carpentry. You may even be able to do this without being sponsored by an employer and you may not need to live in a regional area.

Note: It is never recommended to engage in studies for the sole purpose of trying to gain a visa to Australia. Speak to us and we can find a course that matches your long-term career goals.

Step 1: Study a course or package of courses

Study a course or package of courses that goes for at least 2 years and includes the Certificate III in Carpentry.

  • Certificate III in Carpentry (12-24 months)
Step 2: Receive the Temporary Graduate Visa

By studying for 2 years and undertaking 360 hours of vocational placement during your studies (most education providers will arrange this for you), you may be eligible to apply for and receive the temporary graduate visa
The graduate visa is a work visa that allows the visa holder to live and work in Australia for up to 18 months. For more information on the graduate visa click here.

Step 3: Participate in the Job Ready Program

The benefit of the JRP is that on completion you will be provided with a positive skills assessment for general migration purposes. On this program you must work for at least 12 months as a qualified chef. 

Your employer will not need to sponsor your visa, as you will already be on the graduate visa. This will increase your chances of finding employment, as it is very easy for the employer to hire you. You may find this video on the Job Ready Program helpful.

Step 4: Apply for a General Skilled Migration Visas

Once you have completed the Job Ready Program as a chef you will receive a positive skills assessment. Once you have the positive skills assessment you may be able to apply for a general skilled migration visa.

If eligible, the general skilled migration visa does not require you to have an employer that is willing to sponsor you. Please note that you will still be required to pass the points test and health checks applicable to apply for this visa.

Interviews With Our Students


Ged from UK

Ged from UK is currently in his third semester studying the Cert III in Carpentry and the Cert IV in Building and Construction at TAFE NSW in Sydney. He’s working part time earning $35/hour and he’s working towards Graduate Work Visa. If you’d like to know more about Ged’s experience then you’ll find the interview with him down below.

John from UK Studying Carpentry in Brisbane thumbnail

John from UK

John from UK lives in Cleveland with his wife and son. He’s studying the Cert III in Carpentry at TAFE Skills Tech in Brisbane. He’s very pleased with teachers and he finds equipment & facilities to be first class. We did a short interview with him, which you can find from down below.

YouTube video

Studying Carpentry – FAQs

Brad will walk you through some of the common questions we get in regards studying carpentry in Australia.

Where can I study carpentry in Australia?
International students can study carpentry in Melbourne, Sydney, Gold Coast, Brisbane, Sunshine Coast and Perth.
How much will it cost to study carpentry in Australia?
The cost of studying carpentry can vary depending on the institute and range from $9,000 – $15,000 per year.
Can I do a carpentry apprenticeship in Australia?

International students can’t do a carpentry apprenticeship in Australia. Instead, they can study a 24-month vocational course to become a qualified carpenter. Click here to read more about apprenticeships and vocational courses for international students

What qualifications do you need to be a qualified carpenter?

To be a qualified carpenter in Australia you need to successfully complete the Certificate III in Carpentry.

How long dates it take to become a qualified carpenter?
It can take between 12-24 months to become a qualified carpenter in Australia
What do you do as a carpenter?

A carpenter might do any of the following in a normal day:

  • Reading and interpreting blueprints, drawings and sketches
  • Building foundations, installing floor beams, laying sub-flooring and installing walls and roofing systems
  • Fitting and installing trim, doors, stairs, moulding and hardware
  • Preparing cost estimates for clients
  • Measuring, cutting and joining materials made of wood or wood substitutes
  • Repairing and renovating wooden structures
How much does a qualified carpenter make?

As per Job Outlook, a qualified carpenter earns $1,358 a week, on average

What qualifications do you need to obtain a builder’s license?

The requirements for a builder’s license vary from state to state in Australia. Generally, the academic requirements for a builder’s license are to have successfully completed a Certificate IV or Diploma of Building & Construction.

Is carpentry in demand in Australia?

Employment for carpenters has risen moderately in the past five years and is expected to rise slightly in the long-term. Carpenters have a high proportion of full-time jobs (93.2 %). Carpentry is also on Australia’s Medium and Long Term Skills Shortage List (MLTSSL).

Is carpentry physically demanding?

Carpentry work is physical in nature and like most trades it can be physically demanding

What is the difference between carpentry & joinery?

The two are very similar, but there is a difference between the two. Carpenters are generally responsible for building the structure of a building, whilst a joiner would be responsible for much of the interior and finishing work.

What do I need to work as a carpenter in Australia?

To work as a carpenter in Australia you’ll need the following essentials:

  • Tax File Number or Australian Business Number – Both of these are required for tax purposes. A TFN is needed if you’re employed by an organisation or company. An ABN is needed if you’ll be self-employed.
  • Personal Safety Equipment – Steel cap boots, high visibility workwear, safety glasses, ear protection, hard hat, gloves
  • Tools – Drills, hand & power saws, basic hand tools, finishing & nailing guns
  • Construction Industry White Card – This is required to enter any building site and shows that understand the basics of health and safety in the construction industry
  • Insurance – Depending on how you’re employed you may need public liability insurance
  • Carpentry Qualification – You must have successfully completed a minimum of Certificate III in Carpentry to be a qualified carpenter
Will these qualifications be recognised in my home country?

These qualifications are part of the Australian Qualification Framework. Most countries specifically European or North American countries accept qualifications issued by Australia. So yes, generally speaking, the qualifications will be accepted and allow you to work in your home country. Please note, we would always you check specifically with your home country.

What opportunities are there to progress after carpentry?

If you’d like to continue your studies after the Certificate III in Carpentry you can study a Diploma of Building and Construction (Building). This qualification can be helpful if you’re looking to continue your career as a project supervisor, building manager, estimator or foreperson.

How do I get started?

If you complete this questionnaire we’ll be able to send you some detailed information on the course and explain what documents you’ll need for enrolment

Have a question?

If you have a question or concern don’t hesitate to contact us. You’ll find our details down below.
Reyna Ruperto Headshot

Reyna Ruperto

Philippines, Singapore, East Asia and West Asia 


Andrew Stewart

UK, Europe, South Africa, North America


Brad Lincoln

South & Central America, Australia, New Zealand


Sara Cullen

Australasia, Asia, South America 

Jeco Gabrielle Berona Education Consultant

Jeco Gabrielle Berona

South East Asia and Central Asia

Sonier Paolo Santos Jr Pathway to Aus

Sonier Paolo Santos Jr


Karlo Joson profile photo for Pathway to Aus team page




In case of questions, feel free to reach out to one of our experienced Registered Migration Agents.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Contact details

Give us a call

Australia: 0755 265 900
Argentina: (11) 7368 - 8134
Fiji: (679) 922 3842
Philippines: 63 968 363 5296
United Kingdom: 02039 483 865

Send an email


Gold Coast Office

2242 Gold Coast Highway,
Mermaid Beach, QLD, 4218

UK Office

5 Merchant Square
London, W2 1AY, United Kingdom
(By Appointment Only)

Carpentry was last modified: December 8th, 2022 by PTA