Brick & block layers are a key element to any construction project and a very in demand job in Australia.
Bricklaying is currently on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)
By studying bricklaying you will be setting yourself up for a promising career in a growing industry. Many people think it is a simple job, however there is so much more to this occupation. This occupation would suit someone who likes working outdoors, is physically fit and likes working with their hands. You will learn how to work on job sites for domestic,commercial and public buildings and work with clay bricks, concrete blocks and mortar.
Throughout the course students will learn how to interpret building plans, perform measurements, masonry blockwork, veneer and solid brick construction, leveling and scaffolding and how to use speciality tools.
Certificate III in Bricklaying
Course Duration: 24 months
Intake Dates: Jan and July
Locations: Gold Coast and Perth
Costs: $11,000 – $14,500 per year
Common Course Requirements:
- Must have graduated year 10 in home country.
- Must have a minimum English score of IELTS 5.5 overall.
- This course includes 360 hours of vocational placement.
The Certificate III in Bricklaying prepares students to perform a wide range of tasks in the building industry. You will be trained in numerous fields in the brick laying such as:
- Studying plans and specifications to determine materials required, dimensions and installation procedures.
- How to construct decorative panels, feature walls, arches and columns.
- Laying bricks in rows, designs and shapes, and spreading mortar between joints.
- Embedding blocks in mortar and removing excess mortar.
- Checking vertical and horizontal alignment.
- Cutting, shaping and polishing stones and bricks using machines and hand tools, and shaping bricks to fit irregular spaces.
Job Forecast & Career Information:
- Full time bricklayers earn an average of $1200 per week.
- The average hours worked by a bricklayer in Australia are 39.4 per week.
- Employment for this occupation fell slightly in the past five years and remained relatively steady in the long-term (ten years).
- Bricklayers and stonemasons have a high proportion of full-time jobs (90.7 per cent).
- Most bricklayers can work independently as a contractor or for a larger building company.
Bricklaying (331111) – is currently on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List.
- Certificate III in Bricklaying
- 2 years on the job experience
Options for a Temporary Graduate Visa
If undertaking study in Australia for a minimum of 2 years you may qualify for the Temporary Skilled Graduate Visa. This visa allows the holder 1.5 years unlimited work rights in Australia. Many graduates use this time to build up experience in their field or find an employer that is willing to sponsor their visa.
If you have applied for the Temporary Graduate Visa you may also be eligible to apply for the Job Ready Program. The Job Ready Program is run through TRA and allows graduates in certain disciplines to have their skills assessed for skilled migration purposes. It is a way for people to have their skills assessed without having the experience. Once the student receives a positive skills assessment they may be eligible to apply for permanent work visas such as State Sponsored and General Skilled Migration Visas.
Have a read through this article which details how by studying the right course it could greatly increase your prospects of obtaining a permanent visa.
*Note* It is never recommended to undertake study for the sole purpose of trying to gain a visa to Australia.
If you are interested in studying Bricklaying in Australia contact Pathway to Aus to speak with one of our Education Agents. We can explain to you the course costs, duration and education providers so you better know your options.
P: +61(7)55327 000