Study Boat Building
If you like working with your hands and want to become qualified in an industry that will allow you to work all over the world, boat building could be the best choice for you. Australia is recognised for providing highly skilled and technologically sound boat builders. The Cert III in Marine Craft Construction course will provide students with the required skills to work in the boat building and repair industry in Australia and around the world.
Boat Builder and Repairer is currently on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)
The Certificate III in Marine Craft Construction prepares students to perform a wide range of tasks in the boat building industry. You will be trained in numerous fields in the boat building industry such as – studying plans and specifications, and preparing templates and scale plans for fabrication and cutting of hull sections, assembling shells of boats and erecting hull sections of ship, installing masts, frames, decking, fittings, machines, shafts and safety equipment.
Graduates will be qualified trades person in the marine craft industry.
Graduates will be skilled in many aspects of boat building industry including:
- Fitting out internal and external components of marine craft.
- Repairing wooden, fiberglass and composite vessels.
- Installing engine drive systems.
- Health and Safety.
- Using power and hand tools
$9300 per year
The Course Details
Certificate III in Marine Craft Construction
Potential Career Outcome:
- Full time boat builders earn an average of $1602.00 per week.
- The average hours worked by a Boat Builder in Australia are 44 per week.
- Most boat builders work for large companies.
- Boat builders have a very high proportion of full time jobs (87%).
- Employment for this occupation grew strongly in the past 5 years and is expected to be stable over the next five years.
Common Course Requirements:
- Must have graduated year 10 in home country.
- Must have a minimum English level of IELTS 5.5
- This course includes 360 hours of vocational placement.
Temporary Graduate Visa
If undertaking study in Australia for a minimum of 2 years you may qualify for the. This visa allows the holder 1.5 years unlimited work rights in Australia. Many graduates use this time to build up experience in their field or find an employer that is willing to sponsor their visa.
If you have applied for the Temporary Graduate Visa you may also be eligible to apply for The Job Ready Program. The Job Ready Program is run through TRA and allows graduates in certain disciplines to have their skills assessed for skilled migration purposes. It is a way for people to have their skills assessed without having the experience. Once the student receives a positive skills assessment they may be eligible to apply for permanent work visas such as State Sponsored and General Skilled Migration Visas.
Frequently Asked Questions
In case you don’t find an answer to your question, feel free to consult with one of our agents.
What do you do as a boat builder?
A boat builder:
- Studies plans and specifications and prepares templates and scale plans for fabrication and cutting of hull sections.
- Marks reference points and lines on dry docks and slipways.
- Checks position and functioning of slipway apparatus.
- Assembles shells of boats and erecting hull sections of ship.
- Erects and prepares launching platforms, conducting pre-launch tests and supervising launching procedures.
- Installs masts, frames, decking, fittings, machines, shafts and safety equipment.
- Builds and installs structures such as cabins, machine mountings, propeller supports and rudders.
- Determines repair requirements and procedures.
- May make hull moulds and fabricate and repair vessels using materials such as aluminium, wood, glass, reinforced plastics, carbon fibre, kevlar, fibreglass and concrete.
Where can I study to be a boat builder in Australia?
International students can study boat building on the Gold Coast, Queensland
Can foreigners do a boat building apprenticeship in Australia?
International students can’t do a boat building apprenticeship in Australia. Instead, they can study a 24-month vocational course to become a qualified boat builder. Click here to read more about apprenticeships and vocational courses for international students
How much does a boat builder get paid?
As per Job Outlook, a qualified boat builder earns $1,602 a week, on average
What qualifications do I need to be a boat builder?
To be a qualified boat builder in Australia you need to have successfully completed a Certificate III in Marine Craft Construction
How much is a boat building course?
Boat building, or marine craft construction courses, cost $9,300 per year
How long does it take to become a qualified boat builder?
It takes 24 months to complete the Certificate III in Marine Craft Construction
Will these qualifications be recognised in my home country?
These qualifications are part of the Australian Qualification Framework. Most countries, specifically European or North American countries, accept qualifications issued by Australia. So yes, generally speaking, the qualifications will be accepted and allow you to work in your home country. Please note, we would always advise you check specifically with your home country.
What is a boat builder called?
What is the difference between a boat builder and a shipwright?
Is a boat builder in demand in Australia?
How do I get started?
If you complete this questionnaire we’ll be able to send you some detailed information on the course and explain what documents you’ll need for enrolment
GET IN TOUCH
In case of questions, feel free to reach out to one of our experienced Registered Migration Agents.
Give us a call
Australia: 0755 265 900
Argentina: (11) 3799-3217
New Zealand: 0800 886071
United Kingdom: 02039 483 865
Chat with us
Gold Coast Office
2575 Gold Coast Highway,
Mermaid Beach, QLD, 4218
London, W5 2NX, United Kingdom