With temperatures rising, there has been a large increase in the number of homes and offices that use air-conditioners.
Airconditioning and Refrigeration Mechanic is all currently on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)
Air-conditioning and refrigeration mechanics assemble, install, maintain and repair industrial, commercial and domestic air-conditioning and refrigeration systems and equipment.
They also develop systems, select equipment, and commission, maintain and diagnose faults/malfunctions of refrigeration systems and equipment that apply to commercial food storage and preservation and air conditioning and air distribution equipment and special applications.
Diploma of Air-conditioning & Refrigeration Engineering
Course Duration: 12 months
Intake Dates: Jan and July
Costs: $14,000 – $15,000 per year
Common Course Requirements:
- Must have graduated year 10 in home country.
- Must have a minimum of IELTS 5.5 overall.
- This course includes 360 hours of vocational placement
Graduates will be qualified tradesperson in air-conditioning & refrigeration industry. Graduates will be skilled in many aspects of air-conditioning & refrigeration mechanics including:
- Establishing job requirements from drawings and specifications, and laying out installation reference points.
- Drilling holes, installing mounting brackets and cutting, bending and threading piping.
- Installing and repairing components such as compressors, motors, condensers, evaporators, switches and gauges, and copper lines for steam, gas, refrigerant, compressed air, oil and chilled water.
- Bolting, soldering, riveting, welding and brazing pipes to connect equipment, and checking alignment and accuracy of fit.
- Filling systems with gas or fluid to check for leaks.
- Test-operating refrigeration systems, checking mechanisms and making adjustments.
- Removing test gas and fluid using vacuum pumps, and filling with refrigerant.
Job Forecast & Career Information:
- Full time air-conditioning & refrigeration mechanics earn an average of $1618.00 per week.
- The average hours worked an air-conditioning &refrigeration mechanic in Australia are 40.2 per week.
- Employment for this occupation rose strongly in the past five years and rose strongly in the long-term.
- Air-conditioning & refrigeration mechanics have a very high proportion of full-time jobs (95 per cent).
- Air-conditioning & refrigeration mechanics can work independently as a subcontractor or for a larger company.
Airconditioning and Refrigeration Mechanic is currently on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List.
- Diploma of Air-Conditioning & Refrigeration Engineering
- 2 years on the job experience
Options for a Temporary Graduate Visa
If undertaking study in Australia for a minimum of 2 years you may qualify for the Temporary Skilled Graduate Visa. This visa allows the holder 1.5 years unlimited work rights in Australia. Many graduates use this time to build up experience in their field or find an employer that is willing to sponsor their visa.
If you have applied for the Temporary Graduate Visa you may also be eligible to apply for the Job Ready Program. The Job Ready Program is run through TRA and allows graduates in certain disciplines to have their skills assessed for skilled migration purposes. It is a way for people to have their skills assessed without having the experience. Once the student receives a positive skills assessment they may be eligible to apply for permanent work visas such as State Sponsored and General Skilled Migration Visas.
Have a read through this article which details how by studying the right course it could greatly increase your prospects of obtaining a permanent visa.
*Note* It is never recommended to undertake study for the sole purpose of trying to gain a visa to Australia.
If you are interested in studying to be a Airconditioning and Refrigeration Mechanic in Australia contact Pathway to Aus to speak with one of our Education Agents. We can explain to you the course costs, duration and education providers so you better know your options.
P: +61(7)55327 000
Or Apply or Enquire online