Study in Australia
Australia has one of the best international student education systems in the world offering exceptional education and study-work-life balance.
Whether you would like to improve your English, gain practical Vocational Skills or undertake a University Degree, Australia offers numerous options for international students. Study a few months or a few years on an Australian Student Visa.
On a Student Visa, You Can:
Study in Australia
The Student Visa allows you to study short and long-term courses in Australia, allowing you to obtain an internationally recognised Australian Qualification.
The Australian Education system is considered one of the best in the world. The quality of the education means you will have an exceptional education and can obtain highly respected qualifications that might help you land your dream job anywhere in the world.
Live in Australia
The Student Visa is a great way to extend your time in Australia. It allows you to live in Australia for a short or long-term period, depending on the length of your course. You are able to enter and leave Australia as many times as you like throughout the duration of your course.
Work in Australia
The Student Visa typically allows you to work up to 40 hours per fortnight (two weeks) throughout the duration of your studies; and work unlimited hours during your educational institution’s holidays and breaks.
You may be able to work full-time for the duration of your course if you are studying a Master’s Degree.
Read more information on your work rights on an Australian student visa here.
Bring Your Family to Australia
The Student Visa allows you to include eligible family members, such as spouses, de facto partners, and children to your visa either at the time of application or to be added to your visa after it is granted.
Your spouse or partner would also have similar work rights to you on the student visa.
Renew or Extend Your Student Visa Multiple Times
There is no limit to how many eligible courses you can study in Australia. However, applying for multiple extensions of your Student Visa may weaken your Genuine Temporary Entrant claims.
For that reason, it is important that you choose your courses wisely. In many cases, you can enrol in course packages that include multiple courses under one Student Visa Application, which extends your study period in Australia. If you would like to extend your student visa, feel free to contact Pathway to Aus.
How to Study in Australia
We’ve outlined a process for you to follow.
Step 1: Choose a Course
The first thing you need to do to apply for an Australian Student Visa is choose a course that is right for you. You can compare hundreds of different courses here
You can study:
- English Language Courses
- Such as: IELTS Preparation, General to Advanced English
- Vocational Courses
- Such as: Hospitality, Construction, Business, and Sports & Fitness
- University Courses
- Such as: Bachelor Degree, Master Degree, and PhD
If you are unsure of the type of course you would like to study, feel free to contact Pathway to Aus. One of our education agents will walk you through the different course options for free.
Applying for Student Visa
To apply for an Australian Student Visa you must go through the steps below. Pathway to Aus drafts and lodges the student visas for all of its student for free.
Complete the Visa Application Form
After you have received the confirmation of enrolment from the college, you will then be able to draft your visa application . For student of Pathway to Aus, we will send a Student Visa Questionnaire for you to complete.
We will then have one of our registered migration agents draft up your student visa.
Write a Compelling Genuine Temporary Entrant “GTE” Statement
- It is a requirement for the Student Visa that, at the time of application, you intend to come to or remain in Australia for a temporary period and your primary intention to come to or remain in Australia must be to study.
- For clients of Pathway to Aus, we provide professional guidance with writing an excellent GTE Statement.
Arrange Overseas Student Health Coverage
- You must arrange OSHC for the full duration of your Student Visa and this must be paid in full before submitting the Application.
- All Applicants included in your Student Visa must have OSHC.
- Some students from Norway, Sweden, or Belgium may not be required to arrange OSHC.
Duration of Course Duration of Visa and OSHC
10 months or longer and finishing in November or December
Your visa will usually be granted until 15 March of the following year
10 months or longer (finishing between January and October)
Your visa will usually be granted for two months longer than the duration of your course
Less than 10 months
Your visa will usually be granted for one month longer than the duration of your course.
Do I need to provide Evidence of Language Ability?
Depending on which country you are from, you may be required to provide evidence that you meet the English Language requirement. You can check it you will need to provide evidence of English on Immi’s document checklist tool.
Do I need to provide Evidence of Financial Capacity?
Depending on which country you are from, you may be required to provide evidence that you have enough money to cover the cost of living and studying in Australia.
You can check it you will need to provide evidence of English on Immi’s document checklist tool.
- If you need to provide evidence of finances, you must prove that you have genuine access to funds, as determined by immigration:
- Single Applicant
- Ongoing Income of Parents or Non-Accompanying Partner or Spouse: $60,000 AUD or more; OR
- Deposit in a Financial Institution:
- Cost of Living: $20,290
- Cost of 12 months tuition fee less any amount already paid (tuition/total months of study x 12 months)
- Cost of return flight to home country:
- From inside Australia: $1,000 to $1,500
- From outside Australia: $2,000 to $3,000
- Additional Applicants
- Ongoing income of Parents: $70,000 AUD or more; OR
- Deposit in Financial Institution:
- Same as above, PLUS
- $7,100 for partner/spouse
- $3,040 per child
- $8,000 per child over 6 years of age
- Cost of return flights/per applicant
- Examples of Evidence:
- Bank Statements, Term Deposits, Loans
- Tax Returns for Most Recent Tax Year
- Letter of Financial Support
- Evidence of Relationship between Applicant and Financial Sponsor
- Single Applicant
This information is to be used as a rough estimate only and the financial capacity requirements will vary depending on your individual circumstances. Our experienced Migration Agents can assist in determining your specific requirements.
Provide Evidence of Health and Character Requirements
Some applicants must provide a medical assessment and police reports. Immigration may contact you after the visa has lodged if you need to provide these.
For instance, if you have a prior criminal conviction, have debt to the Australian government, have a medical condition, or have served in the military, you will need to provide specific documentation, such as:
- Police Checks
- Payment Plans
- Military Discharge Letter
Include Eligible Family Members
- In general, you will be required to provide evidence of your relationship, such as:
- Marriage certificate
- Evidence you’ve lived together for at least 12 months
- Evidence that you share in your finances
- Evidence that you hold yourself out to the public as being in a genuine, exclusive and committed relationship
- Evidence that you are committed to one another
Australia recognizes same-sex marriages and partnerships. The requirements for evidence are the same.
You may also be able to include your children or step-children to your application.
In general, you will need to provide evidence, such as:
- Birth certificate
- School enrolment in an Australian school for children over 6 Years of age
- Form 1229: Consent to grant an Australian visa to a child under the age of 18 years
Pay the Visa Application Fee
When lodging the student visa, applicants will need to pay the visa application charge. The current student visa application charge is:
- Main Applicant – $620
- Secondary Applicant (over 18) – $460
- Secondary Applicants (under 18) – $150
- Please note if you apply from inside Australia you may also need to pay the subsequent visa application charge of $700. You would only need to pay this charge if you apply from inside Australia and you applied for the current visa you hold in Australia.
Moving onto a
Graduate Work Visa
485 Graduate Visa
If you have completed a recognised qualification that is at least two years in length from an Australian education provider within the last six months, you may be eligible for a 485 Graduate Visa, which permits you to stay in Australia for up tom 18 months. Please note to be eligible for the graduate visa you must study the right course.
Pathway to Aus can help you choose this course.
There are two different types of Graduate Visas:
- the Graduate Work Stream, which is for recent graduates of a course that prepares you for a job that is on the MLTSSL; and
- the Post-Study Work Stream, which is for recent graduates of a Bachelor, Masters or Doctorate Level course.
482 Employer Sponsored
The 482 Employer Sponsored visa is the most common work visa in Australia. It is a temporary visa that allows you to live and work in Australia. It is quite common for working holiday makers or students to move to a 482 Employer Sponsored visa. Some examples of our past clients moving from a working holiday or student visa to an employer sponsored visa include Paolo and Tom :
To be eligible for this visa you must:
- Have a job offer from an employer
- The job must be on the Short-Term Skilled Occupation List
- The job must be paid at least $53900 per year
- The employer must also agree to “sponsor” your visa and become an approved business sponsor.
- For tips on how to find an employer that will sponsor you check out this article
Get in touch
In case of questions, feel free to reach out to one of our experienced Registered Education and Migration Agents.
Give us a call
Australia: 0755 265 900
Argentina: (11) 3799-3217
New Zealand: 0800 886071
United Kingdom: 02039 483 865
Chat with us
Send an email
2575 Gold Coast Highway,
Mermaid Beach, QLD, 4218