0755 265900 [email protected]

Extend Your Working Holiday Visa

If you are eligible, then a working holiday visa is by far the easiest option to remain in Australia. If you have already obtained your first working holiday visa, you may still be eligible for a second Subclass 417 working holiday visa.  Check your eligibility and learn more about the second working holiday visa. To be entitled to apply for a second working holiday visa, you must have completed at least 88 days of regional specified work.

If you are not eligible for a second working holiday visa you still have other options.

Check Your Visa Conditions

Before beginning to look at your other options, it is important check the visa conditions on your current visa.

You may have certain conditions on your current working holiday visa that will restrict you from applying for another visa from within Australia. This can be done online using the Immigration Departments Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO)

Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) system

To check VEVO you will need:

  • passport number
  • date of birth
  • nationality
  • visa grant or evidence number*

* Your visa grant or evidence number will be in the visa label in your passport, or will be emailed through to you when you first apply for the visa.

Although it is not common, there is a chance that you may have a condition 8503 on your visa. Condition 8503 restricts the visa holder from applying for another visa (other than a protection visa) while in Australia. If this condition is imposed on your visa, you will need to go overseas to apply for another visa. Common countries to go to apply for your new visa are New Zealand or Bali. Please note that having to go overseas may cause different processing times for different visas, or cause you to apply for a different visa.

Please be aware that if you apply for a visa from offshore, you may be required to be outside of Australia when the visa is granted. You can apply to have condition 8503 waived if compelling and compassionate circumstances have developed since the granting of your original visa. If you have this condition waived you can stay in Australia.


Current processing time listed on the immigration website are listed below

Type of Visa Lodged in Australia Lodged outside Australia
Student visa 2 weeks – 6 weeks 2 weeks – 3 months
Partner visa 12 months – 17 months 12 months – 17 months
TSS visa 2 months – 6 months 2 months – 3 months
Visitor Visa (Subclass 600) 15 days – 28 days 15 days – 28 days
189 Skilled Independent (Subclass 189) 5 months – 7 months 5 months – 7 months

Partner Visa

Partner Visa

If you are currently in a De Facto or Spousal relationship with an Australian resident or citizen, then you may be eligible for a partner visa. The partner visa is processed in two stages. You will firstly be issued as a temporary visa, and later you can apply for your permanent visa.

To meet the de facto requirement you must prove that:

  • You and your partner are in a mutual commitment to a shared life to the exclusion of all others
  • are in a genuine and continuing relationship
  • live together and do not live separately on a permanent basis

Visa Approval

To have your visa approved, you must demonstrate that you meet the defacto relationship for at least 12 months before the application is made. By registering your relationship in certain states in Australia you may be able to waive this requirement.

Immigration will jude your de facto relationship based on:

  • The Financial Aspect
  • The Nature of the household
  • The social aspect of the relationship
  • The couples commitment to each other

Be added as a secondary applicant on partners visa

If you are in a de facto or spousal relationship with a partner that currently holds or is about to apply for another Australian visa (Student/Employer Sponsored/General Skilled Migration), then you may be eligible to be added as a secondary applicant to that visa.

Only under certain circumstances can a partner be added as a secondary applicant, but if it is a possibility, it could be the cheapest option for you. Please note that you can be added as the second applicant to most other visa (except the working holiday visas).

Some of the main reasons why you would want to be added as a secondary applicant to your partners student visa include:

  • If you don’t want to pay the course tuition fees to study a separate course
  • If you have started a relationship with a new partner and don’t want to return home.
  • If you have finished your course and your partner still has time to go on their course

Case Study

We previously had a French client who wanted to apply to be added as a secondary applicant to her partners student visa.
A French girl had met an Argentinian man in Australia and they began a relationship. The French girl was on a working holiday visa, however it was expiring very soon. The Argentinian man had a student visa and his course would not finish for another 18 months. The French girl did not want to study a course in Australia and had no other visa options that would allow her to work in Australia.

Neither the French girl or Argentinian man had listed the other as a De Facto Partner on their previous visa applications.

Our Support

With a little work, we were successfully able to add the French girl as a secondary applicant to her Argentinian partners student visa. We did not need to cancel the Argentinian’s original student visa. The French girl made a separate application to be added as a secondary applicant of her Argentinian partner, provided the correct supporting documents and had her visa was granted roughly three weeks after application.

The French girl was granted a secondary applicant student visa, with limited work rights (40 hours per fortnight). Her visa would expire the same day as her partners student visa.

Enroll in a course and obtain a student visa 

For many working holiday makers studying a course in Australia may be the most affordable way to extend their stay in Australia. If you study the right course, it could also put you on a pathway to applying for another work visa. On a student visa you are allowed to work for up to 40 hours per fortnight and unlimited hours during school holidays. Partners, spouses and children can be added as secondary applicants to the visa.

English Language Schools

English Language Schools

($150 – $300 per week)
Courses include: General English, IELTS, English for Academic Purposes

Vocational Institutions

Vocational Institutions

($100 – $200 per week)
Vocational Courses include: IT, Management, Fitness, Business, Accounting, Nursing, Childcare, Automotive plus many more.

University Degrees

Trade Courses

Courses available include: Carpentry, Joinery, Automotive Mechanical, Painting and Decorating, Engineering Fabrication

Work in Australia

There are many different work visa options in Australia. Depending on your skills, work experience and education you could be eligible for one or more of these visas. Partners, spouses and children can be added as secondary applicants to the visa.

482 Employer Sponsored

The 482 Employer Sponsored visa is the most common work visa in Australia. It is a temporary visa that allows you to live and work in Australia. It is quite common for working holiday makers or students to move to a 482 Employer Sponsored visa. Some examples of our past clients moving from a working holiday or student visa to an employer sponsored visa include Paolo and Tom :

To be eligible for this visa you must:

  • Have a job offer from an employer
  • The job must be on the Short-Term Skilled Occupation List
  • The job must be paid at least $53900 per year
  • The employer must also agree to ”sponsor” your visa and become an approved business sponsor.

For tips on how to find an employer that will sponsor you check out this article and for information on the 482 visa click here

General Skilled Migration

General Skilled Migration (Subclass 189 or 190) visas are permanent visas that allow you to live and work in Australia. You are not required to have a job offer from an employer to apply for this visa. Jose is a past student of ours who has successfully gone onto a general skilled migration visa (Skilled Independent – Subclass 189).

To be eligible for this visa you must:

More information on general skilled migration acan be found here

Consult with Our Agents

Book a consultation to receive professional advice from one of our experienced Registered Migration Agents.
Extend your stay in Australia was last modified: July 2nd, 2019 by Nick Yock