0755 265900 [email protected]

Partner Visa

The partner visa allows partners to work, live and study in Australia. There are also numerous other perks that the visa holder is eligible for such as receiving access to Medicare.

Partner Visa

Partners of Australian citizens or permanent residents may be eligible to apply for a partner visa. This partner visa is usually issued as a temporary  visa that after 2 years lead to permanent residency in Australia. There are certain circumstances in which the visa holder may be eligible to apply directly for a permanent visa.

The partner visa can be granted for:

  • Married Partners
  • Engaged Partners
  • De facto Partners

Engaged Partners

If a couple is engaged to be married, then a sincere commitment to get married and to live in Australia must be proved. Considerable documentation is required with the application, and often couples are asked to attend an interview with DIBP.

De facto Partners

De Facto visas often require the most documentation for approval. Couples may have to prove that they have been in a relationship and living together for at least 1 year prior to the application. However under certain circumstances, couples can prove that there are compelling circumstances to grant the visa, Evidence of your joint living arrangements, such as a joint lease, or joint utility/bank documents being sent to the same address, must be submitted with your application. If you have not been able to live with your partner for 1 year due to certain circumstances, you may be able to apply for a waiver.

7,715 AUD (if applied from inside Australia)

*The price is correct as of the 10th of July 2019, and is subject to change. For further information on current visa fees refer to the Border website

**Plus credit card payment fee if paying by credit card

Excluded Costs:

Medical Exams

Police Clearance


Fees paid to a Registered Migration Agent for assistance in lodging the visa application

To be eligible for the partner visa:

  • The applicant must be in a married or defacto relationship with an Australian citizen or permanent resident
  • Be of good health and character
  • The couple must have a genuine relationship and a commitment to a shared life together.
  • The couple must live together, or only be separated temporarily
  • Must have no outstanding debts the Australian Government

If in a married relationship – the couple must have a valid marriage under Australian law.

If in a de facto relationship – the couple is usually required to have lived together to be in a relationship for 12 months. However there is circumstances in which the couple is not required to be in a relationship for 12 months.

Evidence proving that both parties live or have lived together

  • This often comes in the form of letters and documents addressed to both parties and sent to the same address such as joint utility accounts or joint rental agreements.

Documents showing that both parties share financial dependence

  • This can come in the form of joint bank accounts, joint mortgages or other joint financial documents.

Documents showing that both parties spend time together outside of living arrangements

  • This can come in the form of joint travel itineraries, photographs, joint participation in activities

Certified reference from friends confirming the relationship

*The above list by is not a full list of required documents.

Provided that both your partner and the visa holder have abided by visa regulations, then after two years the couple may be eligible to apply for the permanent visa. The DIBP will ask for evidence of the relationship to prove this.

In certain cases, couples may not need to wait for 2 years to apply for permanent visa. Examples when a couple may be eligible to receive a waiver of the 2 year rule include:

  • If the couple have been in a relationship for longer than 3 years at the time of the original partner visa application.
  • If the couple has children in the relationship and the couple have been together for two or more years

Get in Touch

Contact Information

Phone 0755 265 900
Skype: pathwaytoaus
Email: [email protected]


Gold Coast Office
2575 Gold Coast Highway, Mermaid Beach, QLD 4218

UK Office
Call us 02039 483 865

Consult with Our Agents

Book a consultation to receive professional advice from one of our experienced Registered Migration Agents.

Partner Visa was last modified: July 11th, 2019 by Nick Yock