Published Dec 9, 2021
 by Nick Yock

Pathway to PR on the Temporary Graduate Visa (485)

YouTube video

Pathway to PR on the Temporary Graduate Visa (485) – General Skilled Migration Pathway

 This video is going to outline a very common pathway to Permanent Residency for Temporary Graduate Visa Holders (485 Visa). Specifically for applicants who are looking to apply for General Skilled Migration Visas (Subclass 189, 190 or 491).

Can I apply directly for PR after I graduate?

Usually, applicants will not have enough time or do not meet the requirements to apply for PR immediately after they graduate. Being on a Graduate Visa is incredibly beneficial for obtaining PR. The true value of the Grad visa is that it allows the holder to live and work in Australia in your occupation. If you are living and working in Australia it gives you a massive advantage in being invited for Australian Permanent Residency. The other major benefit is that the Grad Visa allows you the time to build up the work experience required to pass a skill assessment. This is important as for any PR work visa, you need to pass a skill assessment in your occupation.

What types of Permanent Work Visa’s are available in Australia?

There are 2 main types of Permanent Work Visas in Australia –

  1. Employer-Sponsored (Subclass 186, 494(TR), 482(TR)), or
  2. General Skilled Migration (Subclass 189, 190 or 491).

***We have separate videos on the Employer Sponsored Visas, so please check those out.

This video mainly discusses the General Skilled Migration Pathway (Subclass 189, 190 or 491). For General Skilled Migration Visas. Applicants are not sponsored by any company, instead, they are nominated by Immigration or a State or Territory. This means they are not tied to a company, which provides much more flexibility which is far more preferable compared to employer-sponsored visas.

Recently, the most common visas for our graduates are the State Nominated (Subclass 190) or Regional Nominated (Subclass 491).  Both of these visas have essentially have the same process.

Why is moving onto the graduate visa is important?

The Graduate Visa allows applicants to build up the time to meet state nomination requirements and also time to work in the industry in order to pass a skill assessment.

In order to apply for these visas, applicants in Australia will usually need:

  • To hold a full skill assessment (in many occupations 1 year of post qualification is required) and
  • To live and work in that state in their occupation for a specific period of time (usually 3 – 12 months)


Let’s take an example of some of our 2 of our previous clients


Emmanuel was a Wall and Floor Tiler Graduate. He used the time on the Grad Visa to obtain a Permanent State Nominated (Subclass 190 visa). On the Grad Visa, Emmanuel used the time to:

  • Meet the Skill Assessment Requirement –Build up at least 1 year of work experience in order to pass the JRP and obtain a skill assessment through TRA
  • Meet the South Australian Migration Requirements – He needed to live and work in South Australia in his occupation for at least 12 months in order to meet the SA requirements


Greta was a Civil Engineer graduate, who used her time on the Grad Visa to meet the QLD Requirements to apply for a 190 – PR.

  • Meet the Skill Assessment Requirement.  As she studied in Australia, she actually didn’t need any work experience requirements to pass a skill assessment.
  • Meet the QLD State Migration Requirements – She needed to live and work in South QLD in her occupation for at least 6 months in order to meet the QLD requirements.

Only once they both 1. Held a full skill assessment and 2.Meet the State Migration Requirements, can they submit an Expression of Interest and be invited for these visas. Without a valid work visa after their studies, this wouldn’t be possible.

***We have other videos that go into the process of the 190, 491 visas, or individual state requirements in great detail. So please be sure to check these out.

Please note, the information provided is general in nature, I would always recommend checking your specific circumstances and figuring out your migration pathway with a registered migration agent.

As always, any questions please never hesitate to contact the team at Pathway to Aus on the phone, website Facebook, or Instagram Thanks!


Pathway to PR on the Temporary Graduate Visa (485) was last modified: December 17th, 2021 by Nick Yock

Migration Consultation

We have a lot of information on our site about various visa options and FAQs that answer most of our visitors’ questions, but if you’re still not sure where to start or you need a personalised step by step walkthrough, then schedule a call with one of our Registered Migration Agent.
Schedule time with Nick


In case of questions, feel free to reach out to one of our experienced Registered Migration Agents.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Contact details

Give us a call

Australia: 0755 265 900
Argentina: (11) 7368 - 8134
Philippines: 63 968 363 5296
United Kingdom: 02039 483 865

Send an email

Gold Coast Office

2242 Gold Coast Highway,
Mermaid Beach, QLD, 4218

UK Office

5 Merchant Square
London, W2 1AY, United Kingdom
(By Appointment Only)