In this video we will discuss the pathway to Permanent Residency through studying to become a Civil Engineering Draftsperson or Electrical Engineering Draftsperson.

The occupations Civil Engineering Draftsperson and Electrical Engineering Draftsperson are both on Australian Immigrations Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL), which means Immigration has identified both occupations as being in high demand in Australia.

We’d recommend choosing a course that is accredited with Engineers Australia, are 2 years in duration and at least at an Adv Diploma level. We have more info on these courses below:

The skill assessor for both occupations is Engineers Australia. If you study at an accredited institution, you should not require work experience to pass a skill assessment. Instead, you would provide Engineers Australia with your qualification, transcript and proof of English (if required).

Once you have applied for the skill assessment, you can then apply for the Temporary Graduate Work Visa (subclass 485).

With the full skill assessment, you should then be able to apply for the Skilled Regional Nominated – (Subclass 491) or potentially the State Nominated – (Subclass 190).

The State Nominated Visa – Subclass 190 visa is a permanent visa requires the applicant to receive nomination by a State or Territory Government. The Skilled Regional Visa – Subclass 491 is a temporary that leads to permanent visa and requires the applicant to receive nomination by a State or Territory Government.

The visa holder will be nominated to work in a profession that is listed on the State Occupation List. Please note, in order to be able to apply for this visa, you would need to be nominated by the State. Each state may have a different list of occupations and requirements. For example, most states will require that you live and work in the state to be eligible for state nomination.