Published Feb 9, 2023
 by Nick Yock

How Studying Cookery Can Lead to PR

YouTube video

Can Studying Cookery Lead to PR?

Studying Commercial Cookery is one of the most popular courses for international students studying in Australia and it has excellent Permanent Residency Prospects. It is all about studying a course that will skill you in an occupation that is in demand in Australia.

Pathway to Aus has assisted a lot of previous students to gain Permanent Residency in Australia through studying Commercial Cookery. I will put a link to some of the student testimonials below.

One of the best things about studying to become a chef is that it is so easy for applicants to find paid work when they are studying. This is because we have a huge demand.

At Pathwaytoaus, we provide a free service to all potential students. We have an education agent pick a course that is right for you in a location you want. We then assist with visa processing.

Essentially the pathway for most students is the same and has 4 steps:

Apply for a student visa and study a relevant course that is on the MLTSSL – commercial cookery.

The Commercial Cookery package generally runs for 2 years and includes the Cert IV in Commercial Cookery or Kitchen Management and the Diploma of Hospitality. It is available in all major cities across Australia. Contact PTA to find a suitable course.

Provided you study the right course (and it goes for at least 2 years), you may then be eligible to obtain a graduate work visa – Subclass 485).

This is an open 2 year work visa that allows you to live and work in Australia upon completion of your studies. Please click the link below for more information on this visa.

On the grad visa you would need to work for 12 months in order to pass a full skill assessment through the Job Ready Program.

In order to apply for most permanent work visas, you must have a full skill assessment. For Chefs, you can obtain your full skill assessment through Trades Recognition Australia. You must undertakethe Job Ready Program pathway through TRA. This requires 12 months of paid work experience and can approve a positive skills assessment for migration purpose. Please refer to the link below for a full overview of this process.

With the full skill assessment, you should then be able to apply for Permanent Residency through General Skilled Migration Visas. These visas include – the Skilled Independent 189, Skilled Regional nominated – subclass 491 or potentially the State Nominated – Subclass 190.

This is a very simplified version of the pathway, however, please check the links below for a detailed description of each step.

If you are interested in studying in Australia, feel free to contact Pathway to Aus.

How Studying Cookery Can Lead to PR was last modified: September 6th, 2023 by Nick Yock

Migration Consultation

We have a lot of information on our site about various visa options and FAQs that answer most of our visitors’ questions, but if you’re still not sure where to start or you need a personalised step by step walkthrough, then schedule a call with one of our Registered Migration Agent.
Schedule time with Nick


In case of questions, feel free to reach out to one of our experienced Registered Migration Agents.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Contact details

Give us a call

Australia: 0755 265 900
Argentina: (11) 7368 - 8134
Philippines: 63 968 363 5296
United Kingdom: 02039 483 865

Send an email

Gold Coast Office

2242 Gold Coast Highway,
Mermaid Beach, QLD, 4218

UK Office

5 Merchant Square
London, W2 1AY, United Kingdom
(By Appointment Only)