Enrolled & registered nurses

Work as a nurse in Australia

This article details some of the steps required to work as a enrolled or registered nurse in Australia

Registered Nurse

Registered Nurses are in huge demand in Australia and is an occupation that is on the Medium and Long-Term Strategic Skills List.

As registered nursing is on the Medium and Long-Term Strategic Skills List, it may be possible for overseas trained nurses to obtain a permanent work visa to Australia, without requiring an employer to sponsor your visa. Although employer sponsored visas is still an option for  registered nurses.

Bachelor of Nursing graduates become Registered Nurses and can work in numerous employment opportunities in Australian and around the world including emergency, mental health, pediatrics and intensive care nursing.



Completed Bachelor of Nursing

The Bachelor of Nursing is the qualification that you need to work as a Registered Nurse in Australia.

Registered with AHPRA/NMBA

To work as a registered you need to apply for and be registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (AHPRA/NMBA).

Passed Skills Assessment from ANMAC

To be able to apply for any general skilled migration visa (Subclass 189, 190 or 491) and any permanent employer sponsored visa you would first require a skills assessment done ANMAC.

Enrolled Nurse

The occupation of enrolled nurse is on most state lists around Australia, making it potentially possible to apply for the State Nominated (Subclass 190) or Skilled Work Regional (Subclass 491).

As enrolled nurse is on most State Occupation lists, it may be possible for overseas trained nurses to obtain a permanent work visa to Australia, without requiring an employer to sponsor your visa. However, employer sponsored visas is an option for enrolled nurses.

Diploma of Nursing graduates become Enrolled Nurses which can work in numerous occupations including hospitals, residential care facilities, medical centres and community health centres.



Completed Diploma of Nursing

The Diploma of Nursing is the qualification that you need to work as a Enrolled Nurse in Australia.



You must demonstrate that your previous education meets the standards for nursing in Australia.The minimal standard required is a university based bachelor degree equivalent to at least 6 full time semesters.

ANMAC may accept education nursing programs leading to registration from countries similar to the Australian standard including: UK, Ireland, Canada, USA, Singapore, Hong Kong and some European Union (EU) member nations. Please note just having completed a bachelor degree in nursing does not mean you will meet the educational requirement. Only ANMAC can determine if your education meets the Australian standards.

If a nurse did not complete their studies in a country which ANMAC believes is not similar to Australian standard then, the nurse may be able to go through Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) and find out what needs to be done to become registered or licensed to work in Australia. AHRPA is the organisation responsible for registering nurses to work in Australia. If you are not registered with AHPRA, you cannot work in Australia.

Overseas trained nurses may be required to undertake a bridging program (a short nursing course conducted in Australia) before they become registered in Australia. Once an applicant becomes registered through AHPRA they may then be able to apply for a modified or full skills assessment with ANMAC as they hold a current Australian or New Zealand registration.



The Applicant must demonstrate their identity through personal documentation

English ability

You must have proficient English – You must score at least 7 in all aspects of ACADEMIC IELTS or other relevant English test

Professional Experience

The Applicant may be required to show that they hold a current registration/license as a nurse in their home country and have practiced as a nurse within the 5 years before application.

Character/Criminal History

The Applicant must show that they are a fit and proper person with integrity. The nurse must demonstrate that they have no outstanding disciplinary proceedings against them and also no previous serious criminal convictions

Frequently Asked Questions

In case you don’t find an answer to your question, feel free to consult with one of our agents.

Where can I study?
Nursing programs are generally offered in most capital and some regional areas around Aus.
What do you as an Enrolled nurse?

Enrolled nurses provide nursing care for patients by following a care plan developed by other health care professionals. They are able to administer medicines including vaccinations, but only under the supervision of a registered nurse or doctor. Some of the duties undertaken by an enrolled nurse include:

  • assessing, planning and implementing nursing care for patients according to accepted nursing practice and standards
  • providing interventions, treatments and therapies such as administering medications, and monitoring responses to treatments and care plans
  • assisting Registered Nurses and other team members to coordinate and evaluate care provided
  • promoting and assisting in health education activities for the prevention of ill health
What do you as an Registered nurse?

Registered nurses provide nursing care to patients in hospitals, aged care and other health care facilities, and in the community.

Some of the duties a registered nurse does include:

  • assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating nursing care for patients according to accepted nursing practice and standards
  • working in consultation with other Health Professionals and members of health teams, and coordinating the care of patients
  • providing interventions, treatments and therapies such as medications, and monitoring responses to treatment and care plan
  • promoting health and assisting in preventing ill health by participating in health education and other health promotion activities
  • answering questions and providing information to patients and families about treatment and care
  • supervising and coordinating the work of Enrolled Nurses and other health care workers
What qualifications do you need to be an enrolled nurse?
To become an enrolled nurse you will need to have completed a diploma of nursing
What qualifications do I need to be a registered nurse?
To become a registered nurse you will need to have completed a bachelor of nursing
How do I get started?

If you complete this questionnaire. We will be able to run through the different course options available to you and what documents you will need for the enrolment.


In case of questions, feel free to reach out to one of our experienced Registered Migration Agents.

Contact details

Give us a call

Australia: 0755 265 900
Argentina: (11) 3799-3217
Philippines: 63 968 363 5296
United Kingdom: 02039 483 865

Chat with us

Skype: pathwaytoaus
WhatsApp: +61404243926

Send an email


Gold Coast Office

2575 Gold Coast Highway,
Mermaid Beach, QLD, 4218

UK Office

Down Under Centre, 48 Haven Green
London, W5 2NX, United Kingdom
Become a nurse in Australia was last modified: July 17th, 2020 by Nick Yock