0755 265900 [email protected]

A lot of people get confused when they review the Department of Home Affairs Combined Skilled Occupation List. The combined list of occupations includes occupations on both the Short Term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL) and the Medium to Long Term Skilled Occupation List (MLTSOL).

This list shows all of the occupations that you can get obtain General Skilled Migration Visas or Employer Sponsored Visas.

General Skilled Migration Visas:

  • Skilled Independent (Subclass 189) – Permanent
  • State Nominated (Subclass 190) – Permanent
  • Skilled Regional (Subclass 489) – Temporary


Employer Sponsored Visas:

  • Temporary Skilled Shortage (TSS) Subclass 482  – Temporary
  • Employer Nominated Scheme (ENS) Subclass 186 – Permanent


The major difference between the MLTSSL and STSOL is that if your occupation is on the STSOL you will generally need to find a sponsor (either employer, region or state), in order to apply for the a visa. It is also very difficult to obtain a permanent visa if your occupation is on the STSOL. Your only option for a permanent visa would be some type of sponsored visa such as the State Sponsored (Subclass 190), Skilled Regional (Subclass 489) or Regional Sponsored Visa (Subclass 187).

However if your occupation is on the MLTSOL, then you may be eligible to apply for permanent visas such as the skilled independent – Subclass 189 and may not require a sponsor. Additionally you may be able to apply for the permanent employer sponsor visa – Subclass 186.

Lets take for example The Occupation of Accommodation and Hospitality Manager nec:

The occupation of Accommodation and Hospitality Manager is on the STSOL (not the MLTSSL) list. This means that you can only apply for the:

  • State Sponsored 190
  • Training Visa 407
  • Skilled Regional (Subclass 489)
  • or TSS (employer sponsored visa).

All of these options would require you to have some form of sponsorship either from the State, regional area or employer.

Please note the Training Visa – Subclass 407 and TSS visa are not permanent visas and do not lead to PR.

However the State Sponsored 190 is a permanent visa and the Skilled Regional (Subclass 489) is a temporary visa that may lead to PR.

How to know if a state will sponsor for your occupation?

Potentially your best chance of obtaining a permanent visa if your occupation is not on the MLTSSL, is State Sponsored Subclass 190. Not every state will want to sponsor the occupations that are eligible for the Subclass 190. The states of NSW, QLD, WA and Victoria all have a very limited number of occupations that they sponsor . To find out if a particular state is looking for your occupation, you can go directly to the States Skilled Sponsorship Lists below:

I believe at the time of writing the only states which would consider sponsoring under the occupation of Accommodation and Hospitality Manager would be South Australia and The Northern Territory.

Please note even if the occupation is on the list, you would still need to meet the numerous other requirements of:

  • the State – each state has different requirements. Some may require an offer of employment, others may require you to show you have sufficient funds to support yourself in Aus,
  • Immigration Visa Requirements – passing a skills assessment, reaching the required points in the points test.


The Skilled Regional (Subclass 489) visa is very similar to the State Sponsored (Subclass 190). Except you would be sponsored by a specific regional area. In addition to this, the skilled regional visa would initially be granted a provisional visa that may lead to PR. The State Sponsored visa is permanent immediately.

We understand that the Australian visa system is very confusing. If you are interested in finding out more about your visa options, feel free contact Pathway to Aus to speak with one of our Migration Agents.

Book a Consultation

P: +61(7)55 265 900

E: [email protected]

Or Apply or Enquire online


What are my PR visa options if my occupation is not on the MLTSSL? was last modified: July 27th, 2018 by Pathway to Aus