Working in the Health and Fitness industry is a rewarding and fun profession. Fitness courses are created to provide the students with the required skills to work in a variety of roles in the fitness industry.
Certificate III in Fitness (26 weeks – 52 weeks)
This qualification provides the skills and knowledge for an individual to be competent in a range of activities and functions. This is the best place to start off your study to get the skills you need to succeed in the fitness industry. Qualification outcomes include providing exercise instruction for groups, teams or gym programs.
Certificate IV in Fitness (26 – 52 weeks)
The courses will teach students the skills needed to plan, conduct and evaluate exercise training sessions. Students will also learn valuable knowledge about the anatomy of the human body and health and nutrition. Upon completion, students will have gained the required qualifications to gain employment in the fitness industry as an exercise instructor in fitness facilities, aquatic facilities or open spaces.
Certificate III and Certificate IV
from 7 months – 1 year
Gold Coast, Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Perth
The Course Details
Potential Job Forecast:
This is a large occupation employing 31,000 workers. The number of workers has grown very strongly over the past 5 years.
Over the next 5 years, the number of workers is expected to grow very strongly to 38,300. Around 23,000 job openings are likely over this time from workers leaving and new jobs being created.
- Fitness Instructors work in most parts of Australia.
- They mainly work in: Other Services; Arts and Recreation Services; and Education and Training.
- Part-time work is very common. Full-time workers, on average, work 40.3 hours per week (compared to the all jobs average of 40 hours).
- The average age is 37 years (compared to the all jobs average of 40 years).
- Around 6 in 10 workers are female.
Higher Education Opportunities:
Students may also choose to continue to study in additional relevant fields:
- Diploma of Sports and Recreation
- Diploma of Sports Management
- Bachelor of Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
Common Course Requirements
- Australia requires an ILETS 5.5 or equivalent
- Students need to be a minimum of 18 years old
- Comprehension skills equivalent to Year 10 pass level to successfully complete the Certificate level courses.
Frequently Asked Questions
In case you don’t find an answer to your question, feel free to consult with one of our agents.
What do you do as a Fitness Instructor?
Fitness Instructors direct, instruct and guide individuals and groups in the pursuit of physical fitness and well-being.
Typical tasks of a Fitness Instructor include:
- consulting with various Health Professionals to develop and design fitness programs
- designing individual fitness programs based on assessment of the client’s age, level of fitness, goals and abilities
- delivering group exercise classes and personal tuition in a variety of fitness activities in a safe and creative manner
- demonstrating and teaching body movements and skills used in fitness routines
- setting up and monitoring fitness equipment and ensuring that equipment is safe, clean and in working condition
- teaching and advising on the use of fitness equipment
- ensuring clients are aware of and adhere to safety and injury prevention procedures
- reporting accidents and preparing accident reports
- maintaining a working knowledge of current health and safety standards and ensuring working practices and procedures conform to current legislation
- maintaining current first aid certificates
Where can I study to be a Fitness Instructor in Australia?
You can study to become a Fitness Instructor on The Gold Coast, Sydney, Brisbane, Perth and Melbourne.
How much does a Fitness Instructor get paid?
As per Job Outlook, a qualified Fitness Instructor earns $1,126 a week, on average.
What qualifications do I need to be a Fitness Instructor?
To be a qualified Fitness Instructor in Australia you need to have successfully completed a Certificate III or Certificate IV in Fitness. A Certificate IV in Fitness is preferred.
How much is a Fitness course?
Fitness courses cost approximately $4500 per year (if you package the Certificate III and Certificate IV together).
Otherwise, a Certificate III in Fitness costs approximately $3500 for the 36 weeks and a Certificate IV in Fitness costs approximately $6000 for the 54 week course.
How long does it take to become a qualified Fitness Instructor?
It takes 9 months to complete the Certificate III in Fitness and another 9 months to complete the Certificate IV in Fitness.
What is the study timetable like for Fitness courses?
Usually, the study timetable for a fitness course comprises of theoretical study and practical study. Often, schools offer workshops where teachers deliver planned training sessions, collaborate session to work on projects and tasks as well as practical lessons to demonstrate skills in a real and stimulated work environment. Usually fitness students study for 2 days per week.
Will these qualifications be recognised in my home country?
These qualifications are part of the Australian Qualification Framework. Most countries, specifically European or North American countries, accept qualifications issued by Australia. So yes, generally speaking, the qualifications will be accepted and allow you to work in your home country. Please note, we would always advise you check specifically with your home country.
What is the difference between a Fitness Instructor and a Personal Trainer?
A Personal Trainer’s main responsibility is to help their client reach their fitness goal, generally during one-on-one sessions. Personal Instructors generally have more freedom in their jobs. Training sessions occur whenever and wherever is best for the client and don’t necessarily have to be based at the gym.
Obtaining a Certificate IV in Fitness allows you to become a Fitness Instructor and a Personal Trainer.
Is a Fitness Instructor in demand in Australia?
How do I get started?
If you complete this questionnaire we’ll be able to send you some detailed information on the course and explain what documents you’ll need for enrolment.
GET IN TOUCH
In case of questions, feel free to reach out to one of our experienced Registered Migration Agents.
Give us a call
Australia: 0755 265 900
Argentina: (11) 3799-3217
New Zealand: 0800 886071
United Kingdom: 02039 483 865
Chat with us
Gold Coast Office
2575 Gold Coast Highway,
Mermaid Beach, QLD, 4218
Down Under Centre, 48 Haven Green
London, W5 2NX, United Kingdom