Can I apply for a Student Visa
after a 485 Temporary Graduate Visa?

Yes, you can apply for a student visa after you have held a Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485). If you would like Pathway to Aus assist to find a course for you and lodge your student visa, feel free to contact Pathway to Aus.

The Genuine Temporary Entrant Requirement

The most difficult part of the new student application is meeting the genuine temporary entrant requirement. You will need to explain to immigration that you intend to study this course and return home afterwards. You don’t even need to study at a higher level. If you studied at a bachelor level you don’t necessarily need to study at a masters level.

We have assisted students who previously studied a bachelor at university, then obtain a 485 visa successfully apply for a student visa to study a Diploma course. You just need to explain to immigration the reason for studying your chosen course and this is where having skilled education and migration agents like Pathway to Aus lodge your enrolment and help with drafting your visa and GTE statement.

Tips for Meeting the GTE Requirement

Be realistic in your article

Explain your Personal Circumstances

Do your research in the industry or course you are studying

Always discuss the future value of the course to you

Explain your immigration history

Explain why you chose to study in Australia

Provide supporting documents

Pick a course relate to anything you have previously studied

What course can I study?

As long as you can demonstrate you meet the genuine temporary entrant requirements, you don’t need to study at a higher leve.
Feel free to search for any course you’re interested in.

Generic filters
Exact matches only

Bridging Visa

How long of a gap can I have from my 485 visa expiring and the new course starting?

This could depend on when the next available course intake date. For example, many courses will only have an intake in February and July. In order to satisfy the GTE requirements, it is recommended to not have more than a month or two gap from your visa ending and the new course beginning.

Once you apply for the student visa you will be granted a bridging visa. The bridging visa will take over the same conditions as your previous Grad Visa (full work rights). However, please note, once the student visa is approved, you do not have any work rights until the course start date. Once the course starts, you will have the standard student visa work rights (40 hours per fortnight and unlimited in school holidays).

Diploma of Leadership and Management

Bridging Visa

Once you have applied for a student visa from onshore you are generally automatically granted a Bridging Visa immediately. A Bridging Visa simply put allows you to remain in Australian whilst a decision is made on your student visa.
PathwayToAus Default Logo

Why Use Pathway to Aus?

Pathway to Aus has assisted thousands of student’s study or migrate to Australia. We are here to support you throughout your journey and make the transition as easy and smooth as possible. Our experienced team of Education and Migration agents are ready to work with you to help you achieve your education and migration goals.

No cost to you

We're a free service for students. We're paid by the education institutes

Registered Migration Agents

Honest and accurate education and migration advice from registered Education and Migration agents

Ongoing support

We will provide you ongoing support throughout your migration journey.

Partnered with education institutes

Pathway to Aus has partnered with 100’s of education institutes across Australia

Education Consultation

Our education agents will help you to find the course to achieve your education and migration goals

Enrolment Application

We’ll complete your enrolment and obtain your Letter of Offer


Our registered migration agents will draft and submit your student visa application

In Country Support

Ongoing migration consultations, accommodation and employment assistance when you are in Aus.


In case of questions, feel free to reach out to one of our experienced Registered Migration Agents.

Contact details

Give us a call

Australia: 0755 265 900
Argentina: (11) 3799-3217
New Zealand: 0800 886071
United Kingdom: 02039 483 865

Chat with us

Skype: pathwaytoaus
WhatsApp: +61404243926

Send an email

Gold Coast Office

Shop 9/ 2563 Gold Coast Highway,
Mermaid Beach, QLD, 4218

UK Office

Down Under Centre, 48 Haven Green
London, W5 2NX, United Kingdom

From 485 Temporary Graduate Visa to Student Visa was last modified: September 30th, 2020 by PTA